Sunday, June 21, 2009

Six Seater ???

There is a shudder going through my body, I sit meekly at one place .. am surrounded by seven or eight other people, some looking directly into my face. Looks ranging from surprise .. to contempt and to plain boredom. I look at my watch ... and wonder how much more time has to pass. There are people coming along from different directions. I am squeezed between the already seven people, but I still want that pan-chewing kaka to stop waiting in vain for the PMT bus and step foot into the “The Six Seater”, than am being a part off.

Yes, I am currently sitting in “The legendary Six Seater of Pune city” and am waiting for the driver to make a decision and arrive at the conclusion that the vehicle is now perfectly full and that he could proceed with the ride .. but till that time, the engine goes on, with the now familiar shudder through my bones, the loud rattling noise of the six seater chassis against other humans and spare parts residing inside it. Five minutes have passed, and by that time .. my heart has switched places with the right lung and the kidney is shoving it’s way up the oesophagus. Gawd !!! Let this goddamned contraption get going and save me from being a “jumbled up” human being.

These Six Seaters (or SS, as I would prefer calling them through the rest of the blog) are God’s gift to Pune – the perfect folly to rude and insolent rickshawalas. These majorly ply in the outskirts of the city, where our majestic rickshwalas refuse to drive on – or refuse to charge by the meter. But there is catch (I know it can’t be all that good and yet be good), these contraptions come with an unlimited seating capacity and probably at an average seat a dozen people at any given time. The question still haunts .. Why the f*** are they still called as “Six Seaters” ???. But still – no issues with it as they charge standard rates (ranging from 5 Rs to a maximum of 8 Rs for five to eight-nine kilometre ride), pretty cheap, eh ? But not at the surgery cost of rattled bones and organs ... am still looking out for my pancreas. :P

No comments: